A long time ago I won a couple of Izzy & Ivy patterns. One was for the hats I made here and the other was the Princess Bella Dress.
The most difficult part, in my opinion, was to get the top shirred from a total width of about 60 inches down to 23 inches. Is that even possible???!!! I tried several times and did not get it reduced by that much. So, in the end I added 1/4 inch elastic on the inside all the way around. Not as the pattern intended, but it works.
Since there are two layers of fabric on the dress, I chose a light voile for the bottom layer and a sheer swiss dot fabric for the top layer. I think that was the best choice I could make, otherwise the shirring whould have probably not worked at all and the dress would be way too bulky around the chest and too warm for the summer. With the lighter fabrics it will be great on it's own or layered with shirts and pants. It will also last a couple of seasons/years, because of the loose fit at the top.
The girls love it. They say, they feel like Fairy Princesses in them.