This time our living room needed a change so I decided to try my luck at slipcovers for the ordinary IKEA Tullsta chairs we have. They used to be bright blue (and before that yellow and red: can you believe it....?!). But, lately it was more a sad, dreary, washed out blue.
And now, after a lot of cutting, sewing and some seam ripping and resewing, I present to you my new old chair:
The job I did is not perfect. There are still too many wrinkles in the whole thing and I think I will add some elastic on the bottom around the legs in order to make it fit tighter. But, I think it looks much better than the old blue one. It is quite expensive to make a slipcover for this chair: 4 yards of 59" home dec fabric, 3 large zippers, thread. I think I spent almost as much on the supplies as a brand new chair would cost me. I also was looking online for covers for this chair and found JCaroline Creative. They sell covers in bright modern prints and after working on this cover I find their prices very reasonable.
I still have to make a cover for the second chair we have. But, this will have to wait: Hubby discouraged me a bit. He does not like the new cover, because the fabric is too 2-dimensional. I guess you need to be a guy in order to understand that comment...