I'm not afraid of buttonholes, I'm not afraid of buttonholes...

Typically, I pick and choose my patterns based on the fact whether they have buttonholes to mess with or not. I am just terrified of them. My machine just doesn't know how to handle them, or I don't know how to handle my machine. In any case, they never turn out the way they are intended to.

A couple of weeks ago, however, I found a super cute pattern for a dress. Unfortunately, it has two buttonholes that have to be worked in. In my mind I was already figuring out how to eliminate this step, by either using velcro or snaps instead. But then I came across this great tutorial on how to handsew buttonholes: The answer to my problem!

The tutorial was easy to follow and I like how it gives this dress a personal decorative touch and handmade look.


I can't show pictures of the entire dress yet, as I am still working on the second one and want to try taking pictures while my girls model them. I will not make the mistake again, that I made with the skirts, where I only had one finished and a fight broke out between the two of them...

2 comments:

Mandy Weaver said...

you should get a button hole attachment for your sewing machine. They are great! So easy to use, perfect everytime!

Lauranie said...

You know, I did my button holes vertically, maybe that is my problem! I like your way better!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin